Tuesday, November 1, 2011

If You Think Kim Kardashian Is Ridiculous Please Donate To Atticus Circle In Conjunction With My Participation in the Las Vegas Rock N'Roll Half Marathon on December 4

I am sorry if this is redundant or if you have already heard from me.  A month from Sunday I will be running the Rock N’Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon. In doing so I am raising money for an amazing organization called Atticus Circle.  Atticus Circle is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that educates and mobilizes straight people to advance equal rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) partners, parents, and their children. Atticus Circle provides information about the rights of parents and partners denied on the basis of sexual orientation. It seeks to create cultural and attitudinal change by helping people understand the unique challenges and discrimination same-gender couples and their families face, and by encouraging acceptance of all families and partnerships. Atticus Circle conducts research, publishes materials, and works with businesses and policy institutions to develop ideas and policies that foster equal rights for same gender partners and their families. In running I am, as my t-shirt will read, STANDING UP STRAIGHT FOR EQUAL RIGHTS.
Several months ago when I found Atticus Circle my opinions about this issue were strong --- that same-sex marriage should be legal.  I am not gay. But if I was, it wouldn't matter. People are who they are and their sexual orientation is only one element of who they are. My friends are my friends whether or not they are gay. All of my friends, whether gay or straight, deserve to have the same rights.  They all deserve equal right to marry and equal rights to enjoy the benefits of marriage whether they are gay or straight.  They deserve those rights and their children deserve for them to have those rights.

In the last few days I have been forced to hear about the 72 day marriage of a celebrity.  This has outraged me because not only did this celebrity seemingly not take the institution of marriage very seriously, but she made millions of dollars off of the wedding.  Now, 72 days later the celebrity is divorcing yet has made millions of dollars doing so.  All the while I have many friends fighting for the legal right to marry their spouses, something they are not legally entitled to do despite the fact they are in 100% committed and loving relationships that have lasted far longer than this celebrity’s television show has been on the air.  My friends aren’t seeking attention, fanfare, or million dollar weddings.  My friends work hard, pay taxes like everyone else, yet don’t have the same rights as everyone else.  To me, this is nothing short of injustice.

Over the years I have generally always donated when asked to when a friend has been involved in a race, etc. for an organization.  Truthfully, I haven’t always supported the organizations or even have known what they were --- but I wanted to support my friends in their respective endeavors.  Those of you who know me likely never thought that you would see me spending so much time running much less running a half marathon.  My life has changed a lot in that regard.  Part of that change, which has largely occurred through running, has been to be unabashed in speaking up for those things that I believe in.  Raising money for Atticus Circle is one of those things. 

I am close to reaching my goal.  I would really appreciate if you would consider making a donation to Atticus Circle so that I can surpass my goals and spend my last month of training knowing that I have done what I set out to do in terms of fundraising.  To make a donation to Atticus Circle in conjunction with my fundraising efforts, please to http://www.atticuscircle.org/. All gifts are tax deductible. No gift is too large or too small.

You will be able to follow my progress, both related to training for the half marathon and in raising money for Atticus Circle on this blog (http://runserenarun.blogspot.com/), on twitter (http://www.twitter.com/@sepollack), on my Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/serenapollack), and on the Atticus Circle Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StandUpWithAtticusCircle).

No comments:

Post a Comment