Monday, October 17, 2011

Seven Miles.

I ran 7 miles tonight.  It didn't feel so great at parts of the run.  I had to do it on a treadmill because of the timing.  Luckily, I had episodes of Modern Family to get me through.  I ran a mile and would then walk for 2 minutes, followed by running another mile, etc.  My pace was steady.  I stretched.  I'm icing now.  I actually feel OK.  Truthfully I feel better now than I would expect to physically.  Mentally I do feel better.  It was the first time in a long time that I had truly "escaped" during a run.  I didn't think about work.  I didn't think about family.  I didn't think about the upcoming half marathon.  I didn't think about much.  No music.  No people.  No conversation. 

Despite everything that has been going on in real life my friends from New Orleans came up to Wisconsin on Friday.  I spent some time with them on Friday night and Saturday in Madison.  It took me a while to "let it go" but I was able to.  My friends are amazing and they literally forced me to have fun.  Sometimes you forget how much you need that.  I didn't drink as a way to relieve stress.  It didn't even cross my mind.  I admittedly ate some things that aren't ideal for training, but I was in Madison on gameday.  Mickie's Dairy Bar is a gameday tradition. 

I knew that my friends were going to lecture me.  In fact, I was expecting it.  They know how much I have going on and how I am trying to get it all in while also giving myself time for me.  They were coming from a good place and once I told them I knew the importance of taking time for me and that I was truly trying to do so they didn't pressure me.  Instead, they made a deal with me that as long as I took my time with them to relax and have fun that the rest would come in due time.  So, I did just that.  I let go.  I relaxed.  I had fun.  I enjoyed being with my friends and I love and appreciate them so much for taking the time to spend time with me in Wisconsin.

Life and exercise go hand in hand.  They have to in order to lead a healthy and balanced life.  I was supposed to run 7 miles on Saturday.  I thought that I would be able to fit it in on Sunday, but that didn't happen.  Rather than stress about it, I found a way to fit it in tonight.  Maybe the timing wasn't perfect and it will throw the training off but I got it in.  I got it in and now I'm better able to deal with everything that I have to finish tonight.  Seven miles wasn't perfect -- but I got it in.  Maybe that is how I have to try to lead my life --- not perfectly but trying to get in as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment