Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I've Got A Half Marathon to Train (And Raise Money) For

Less than 3 months until race day. It hit me this weekend. It's not like I'm not working out but I have to admit my mileage hasn't been where it should be. That ended yesterday. 5 miles yesterday (some of which was intervals) was painful. My calves were sore today. By tonight they were really sore. But, I put in 3 miles tonight. I tried the run 10 minutes, walk 2 minutes method tonight. I liked it. Might be my new thing.

I've committed to raising money for Atticus Circle in relation to the half marathon (www.atticuscircle.org). Moreover, I got two friends (and amazing authors) Stacey Ballis and Jen Lancaster to do it with me and also raise money for this amazing organization. Now, more than ever, this organization is so important. There have been huge advances this summer --- advances that make me smile --- and we need to keep pushing this issue by advocacy. That's my political shpiel for now.

When I trained for my last half I wore Michigan clothes because I lost a bet. The crappy Michigan clothes motivated me. So, yesterday I wore the Atticus Circle t-shirt that says "Gay, Fine By Me". It did motivate me. I'm doing this half marathon for more than just me. Obviously I do want to do well and get a PR --- but making a difference through raising money and awareness may be more important.

Before my run tonight I met an old friend to catch up. It had been far too long. Truth be told, I wasn't in a great place the last time we saw one another (years ago) and I likely lashed out at her. Thinking about it the last few days, after she graciously reached out to me, made me sad. I lost out on many years of a great person and friend. I was a little nervous tonight but we picked up at a good place. Time has changed us both. I told her that I'm finally comfortable with who I am and I'm not trying to be someone I'm not and can never be. Running has helped me get there.

Tonight's meeting came on the heels of meeting another old friend for lunch. Another person I hadn't seen in years. It was so amazing to catch up. We are no longer 20 year olds who go out to bars, etc. We are adults. We work hard. We try to carve out a little time every day for ourselves and our sanity. Some days we fail. I tried to convince her to come run with me. She told me she doesn't run. I responded by saying I didn't use to run either and if I can do it anyone can. I haven't given up on her.

A lot has changed since I started this blog. I'm not running a marathon in a few weeks. I will be there, though, to cheer Gen on. I was going to run it with her. I'm envious of het and proud of her and excited for her. But part of me finally being comfortable with me is knowing a Marathi isn't in my future and despite that, I can still call myself a runner.

This blog started as my journey in trying to become a runner. I'm a runner now. I might not be what you think of as a runner but I don't care. Being a runner to me is wanting to run, liking to run, and liking how I feel after I run. So,I'm a runner. Now, I'm trying to be a faster runner.

Sorry this is so disjointed. This was written on an iPad. I'm still getting the gist of this. Give me time.

Day off tomorrow. Planning on5 miles during the Saints/Packers game on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment