Thursday, August 18, 2011

Routines And Breaking Them

I can't believe tomorrow is Friday. Part of me is exhausted and the other part is wide awake. Excitement of a new job, new (kind of) city, new routines have me smiling. Speaking of routines, I had another training session with Matt tonight. There is no routine with him other than challenging me. My attitude is that I'm only cheating myself if I don't do what he instructs me to do. Truth is that I do feel stronger --- especially my obliques and my hamstrings. And while I'm not running as much as I should be the cross-training and intervals on the stairs, bike, and rowing machine that Matt has me doing are making the runs I actually do much more productive.

The last time I trained for a half marathon I was too methodical and put too much pressure on myself. As a result, I often left out important things like making sure that the muscles that were so important to running a half marathon were properly trained and rested --- because I was running too much. I wasn't focused on the big picture. Then came injuries and you know the rest. This time I'm committed to a more holistic approach. I'll get my mileage in but I'm not going to run more than 3 days a week and I'm going to pay attention to cross-training, hydration, and nutrition throughout it all. Sure I have a time goal. But ultimately I care more about crossing the finish line injury free.

So this weekend I'm going to run 5 miles. I don't know whether it will be Saturday or Sunday. I don't know if I'll even wear my Garmin to time it. I'm going to enjoy the scenery of the 'burbs and the sunshine and music. I'll enjoy knowing that I'm stronger now because I'm not so regimented that I am forcing myself to follow a routine. I might not be fast, but I will be smiling. Then I'll rest so that on Monday night Matt can "beat me up" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment