Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pride, In More Ways Than One.

There was an amazing editorial/op-ed piece in the NY Times today by Frank Bruni.  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/opinion/sunday/26bruni.html?_r=1  If you haven't read it yet, I have included the link.  I know that this blog is about running and things running related, but it is also about me.  Part of me is my opinions, beliefs, and values.  If you read this blog then you know that I am raising money for Atticus Circle (www.atticuscircle.org); the purpose of Atticus Circle is educating straight people about issues affecting the LGBT community.  I have gay friends; the fact that they are gay has little to no importance to me --- it is just a part of who they are.  They are my friends because of their respective character.  The fact they are gay is just kind of something that is there.  They have never forced the issue on me and have never tried to make it a political issue to me.

That being said, I have seen some of the struggles they have had to go through that I never will.  I've seen this most prominently in the area of marriage and children.  By being who they are --- living their lives in a way that anyone else would (and should be able to) --- they have taught me so many valuable lessons that I may never be able to adequately thank them for.  You see, without them, I might never have been able to really "see" the inequalities that I have become so passionate about.

NY did an amazing and monumental thing on Friday; something that was long overdue and that every state in this country should do.  I know there are people who disagree with me (and they are entitled to their opinions), however, I truly believe that even those who disagree with me would have a very difficult time holding onto those opinions if they really got to know a gay couple as a couple instead of a gay couple.

June is Gay Pride Month.  My understanding of the purpose behind Gay Pride Month (and I am open to comments) is that people should be proud of who they are and should not be forced to feel like second class citizens for any reason whatsoever.  OK, the next paragraph is going to be a bit of a leap --- I accept that, but just indulge me for a minute or so.

My cast came off on Friday and yesterday I took a 3.8 mile walk with my friend Mary.  I walked, didn't run, and it was hardly race walking.  My achilles was cramping and I felt embarrassed.  A month ago I was running a half marathon and yesterday I had trouble walking 3.8 miles.  I felt sloth like because I couldn't do what I wanted to.  But after thinking about it last night (and again today after another 4 mile walk) the truth is that I need to be proud of where I am in light of just having surgery less than a month today.

Pride is about being proud of who you are and where you are.  Being proud about where you are doesn't mean that you are always going be where you are at that minute, though.  I learned a really important lesson this weekend --- about myself and about my physical fitness --- and I learned it from the events in NY and from Gay Pride Month.  I learned to be proud of myself.

Mazel Tov to all of my LGBT friends and colleagues who can now legally marry in NY.  I hope and pray that California will follow NY's lead and that California is not the only state to make this important decision.

My first two walks weren't easy, but they are done.   They can only get easier.  God willing, a month from now, I will be able to run and not just walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment