Friday, June 24, 2011

The Cast Is Off And The Gauntlet Thrown

The walking cast is off.  I am excited.  My right shoe was excited to be reunited with the left shoe.  Only sneakers for the next month.  Still no running.  PT is still going to be painful.  The doctor said, as I left the office, "now the pain, I mean fun, begins." 

Last night Liberdy threw down the gauntlet; clearly she has learned that the way to motivate me is to challenge me and make me do everything possible in order to accomplish something others think is impossible.  I have until August 10 (when she returns to New Orleans) to accomplish this goal.  I will kill myself (within the limits set by the physicians and PT) to do so.  It is the jump start I needed, and she knows that.  She knows that I have been going crazy since May 29 when I crossed the finish line.

In the last few weeks, to help deal with my boredom, I have been doing a lot of reading about Steve Prefontaine.  Prefontaine said the following:
  • "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
  • "You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement."
I want to plaster these quotes anywhere I can think of to help motivate me over the coming weeks.  I am more determined than ever to embrace the pain, work through the pain (again, within the limits set by the medical profession so I don't hurt myself more), and be better as a result of it.  Because once I am able to really run again, nothing is going to stop me.  Watch out world, Liberdy has unleashed a competitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment