Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Changing Perceptions Through Running Clothes --- A T-Shirt Can Change Perceptions

I just had a really great conference call with some of the folks at Atticus Circle (www.atticuscircle.org).  I'm astounded and touched by the support that I have received --- some of which comes from people I do not know and have never met.  This blog is about running, specifically about trying to become a runner, but it is also about me.  It relates to my thoughts, my beliefs, my emotions, and a whole slew of other issues that touch on who I am as a person, a pseudo runner/athlete, etc.

I am amazed that some people are still shocked/surprised that I am vocal about my support for this issue.  These are educated people; people who know other gay people and work beside them.  In all but one election in my life, I have always voted for the Republican candidate.  I have done so based on two issues --- Israel and the economy.  I have made so secret of that.  When it comes to social issues, though, I have always leaned to the left.  Most Republicans that I know think along the same lines that I do when it comes to this issue --- to gay rights and gay marriage.  Simple because I vote Republican doesn't mean that I am against gay rights and gay marriage.  Unfortunately, because of the actions and stupid and senseless comments of a select few (i.e. the religious right and the Tea Party Movement), all Republicans seem to be lumped into the category of being anti-gay.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  Personally, I have more difficulty understanding how Jewish Americans can vote for President Obama (because of his stance on Israel and the Middle East) than I do in understanding how Republicans can be in support of gay rights and gay marriage.

What can be done to change this incorrect perception?  I obviously can't do it alone.  The more people out there, people who vote Republican, who are vocal in their support of gay rights and gay marriage makes a huge impact.  It is so easy to wear a t-shirt from Atticus Circle that simply says, "Gay?  Fine By Me".  (Coincidentally, they can be purchased from Atticus Circle at www.atticuscircle.org.)  Until more people speak up and are vocal in support of this issue (and by more people I specifically mean more people who vote for the GOP), then the perceptions will not change and we will continue to be lumped in with the religions right and the Tea Party Movement.  So, I ask you to get involved.  Buy a t-shirt and wear it to the gym or when you are out running.  It will start conversations and it could lead to changing perceptions. 

I'm excited that my t-shirts are coming tomorrow.  I can't wait to train in them.  I'll certainly be wearing one for the half-marathon in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment