Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Aftermath.

I woke up on Monday morning and I knew things weren't good.  I felt amazing, aside from my right achilles.  Jody insisted on the crutches, which I didn't want to use.  I felt the crutches were almost an indication that I was giving into the injury, but she won out.  When she dropped me off at the airport, it was actually pretty funny when I tried to manage my suitcase, my briefcase, and the crutches --- especially in light of the fact that you have to keep your bag with you until you cross through customs.  Jody insisted on walking me into the airport in light of the situation (which I appreciated) and also insisted I get a porter and a wheel chair.  I didn't want the wheel chair until the wheel chair "driver" pointed out that the line to get through customs was about 90 minutes but if he gave me a ride that it would be finished in under 10 minutes.  SOLD! 


OK, to make a long story short those crutches that I didn't want to use saved my achilles from rupturing.  In that regard I will be forever in debt to Jody.  This Thursday morning I'm having surgery on my achilles.  It is outpatient.  It is arthroscopic.  It will prevent a rupture and allow my achilles to actually heal.  I'll spend the next few weeks in PT and be able to swim, work on core, and strengthen my upper body.  Liberdy is already excited to push me in new ways.  I've conceded that biking is something that I am going to have to include in my repertoire.  It is going to make me better at this in the long run.

I've signed up for the Las Vegas Rock N'Roll Half Marathon on December 4, 2011.  My doctors believe that it is realistic that I will be able to complete it.  Anything before then is questionable right now.  The full marathon may not ever be a distance that I am capable of due to orthopedic issues.  I am OK with that.  What I want, though, is to be able to run the race that I've trained for without being under the weather or having issues that hold me back.  I'm proud of myself for finishing last Sunday; the only aspect of the race that I'm disappointed with is that my training wasn't able to show in light of everything else.  My first 10k was amazing and had me on pace for a time that would have made me ecstatic.  It was faster than my previous 10K by almost 20 minutes.  I just want to finish a half marathon and feel as good as I did at the 10K point.  I don't think that is asking too much.

After that, 10K is likely the right distance for me.  I want to be able to go out on a Saturday or Sunday and be able to comfortably run 5-7 miles.  To me, that is the sign of a fit person.  That is all that I want.  I don't think that is asking too much.

So, for the next 6-8 weeks I'll write about trying to be a walker?  More post surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment