Sunday, May 29, 2011

I Finished.

Maybe I'm in shock, maybe it's just the pain, but I still can't believe I finished the half marathon.  The first 10K were amazing, but then there was 11K when things started to unravel --- more specifically my right achilles tendon.  OK, so unravel isn't the appropriate word, but tear is.  I truly don't know how I finished.  Call it stupidity, call it determination, call it whatever you want, but I finished the half marathon and no longer have to wear the Michigan clothes.

Elyse told me not to run it.  She said between pneumonia and achilles issues it wasn't worth it; there would be other halfs and could it be that bad to wear the Michigan clothing a little longer.  (Obviously, she isn't an alumni of a Big Ten School so can't understand the sheer torture I faced on a daily basis wearing that clothing.)  I promised her that if I was in bad shape that I would stop even though I knew that once I started there would be no stopping.  The course had three out and back legs, so I passed her (she was two waves before me) right after everything happened.  I couldn't even muster a smile together.  She was waiting for me at the finish line, and as I passed her I told her that I had torn the achilles.  What followed was a lecture, or rather scolding, by the good doctor (the OBGYN).  She got even more adamant with me when I started to bitch about my time (which I had no business bitching about in light of the fact that I truly don't know how I finished seeing how I can't walk). 

But, I finished, and it can only get better from here.  It's going to have to, because I can't imagine being in this much pain forever.  The flight home tomorrow is going to be brutal, but going to the doctor on Tuesday morning.  I know there will be no running for some time and I am going to have to actually follow through with PT and actually attend all the sessions.  Plus, I truly don't want to face the wrath of Elyse again --- it was pretty scary.

I learned that each one of us has certain talents, and running is not one of mine.  That being well, the motto is fake it until you make it.  I'll continue faking it until I make it to my next half marathon.  If today was any indication, what in the hell did I sign up for with the Chicago Marathon.  The 10 mile training run was great, I felt good, I felt positive.  Today felt nothing like the 10 mile training run.  Oh well, live and learn.  Below are some photos from today.  More after the doctor on Tuesday.

I must say, though, that I really couldn't have imagined finishing one of these anywhere else.  Something about Toronto, my friends here, and the fact that it wasn't 90 degrees with 100% humidity.  Plus, where else was I going to get flowers (and a hand written congratulatory note) from the gentleman suitor of one of my friends.  Oh Canada!


Post race, and the last time you will ever see me in Michigan clothing.


Pre race.


Post race, post scolding.


No comments:

Post a Comment