Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ten Miles Got Me Over a Mental Barrier.

Today was a turning point for me mentally.  Ten miles.  It is a big number.  Mentally, I feel as if when you say you can run ten miles that people have to give you a little bit of credit related to what you are doing.  I mean ten miles is more than the average runners who I know run on a daily basis --- some of them have never even run that far, and they are tried and true runners.  Maybe that is why I had such butterflies (in my stomach) about the run today?

I was supposed to run a 5K today, but made the decision with Liberdy that it was more productive for me to get in the ten mile training run today.  I started the day off at the office early (yes, I know it is Sunday) but left to get this in.  Physically, I felt great.  I had taken the last two days off and was relatively well rested in light of everything that I have going on.  My hydration was good.  I had black rice for both dinner last night and lunch today.  If you haven't tried it yet, I recommend it.  I just read about it in one of the myriad of health/fitness/running magazines that I now get and it rocks.  Because hydration has been an issue, I started using Gatorade Prime last week before the 9 mile run.  Maybe it is all mental, but it seems to work --- so I am going to continue to go with it.

Today was mental more than anything, so I knew that I needed a little extra motivation.  I wore red socks, to block out the maize and blue.  I even wore the "Michigan Sucks" t-shirt; technically it complies with the bet --- it does say Michigan!  I know that it wasn't much, but it just made me feel a little bit stronger mentally.  I knew the last quarter to half mile was going to be the most difficult (and likely most painful).  The other night, there was a song that got me through that last bit.  Ironically, it was "Hail to the Victors" --- because I knew the faster that I ran, the faster I would be done, and I wouldn't have to listen to that silly song anymore.  It worked like a charm today because I finished the last quarter mile in 2 minutes --- after running 9.75 miles.



My red socks.  Badger spirit carried me through today.


I was soaking wet, but so extremely happy.


I ran the first 5 miles straight through, without even stopping for a sip of water.  I felt amazing.  The second 5 miles I would run 10 minutes, and walk 2 minutes.  I didn't necessarily have to initially, but felt like I would burn out if I didn't do so.  Moreover, my achilles tendons were feeling good and I didn't want to ruin a good thing.  I finished 10 miles, stretched thoroughly at the gym, and walked home --- with a smile on my face the entire time.  

I'm still in shock, in a good way.  Ten miles isn't a short distance.  Lakeside Mall isn't even ten miles from my house --- it is only seven miles and I hate going that far.    The half marathon is, literally, one month from today.  In fact, I will be done with the half marathon (God willing) at this time in a month.  I'm not going to be the first one to finish, but I'm sure as hell not going to be the last (unless there are a lot of really fast Canadians running this thing).  I really think this is a moment that I am going to remember for a long time.  Ten miles is big.  Plus, I am a little sore but in general I feel good.  My feet don't seem to have any issues ---- which is a cue for me to again praise Adidas and the amazing products that Adidas makes.  My doctors are helping me (and I am listening to them).  Liberdy, despite having a baby less than a week ago, is still checking in and giving me advice, motivation, etc.  No one can take this away from me.  I accomplished something big today.

So yes, I do have to go back to the office and work.  But now I'm not nearly as bitter about having to work all weekend, miss Jazz Fest, etc. because I was able to have a little bit of fun this weekend.  Did I really just say that.....my fun this weekend was running!

Ten miles.  Check.  Eleven miles is going to be tough next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment