Sunday, May 22, 2011

Seriously? Pneumonia.....

Last week was bad.  Thursday morning I woke up after spending the night in the bathroom throwing up.  I was dizzy, had a fever, and there was no way that I could even drive myself to court.  I was fortunate enough that one of my colleagues picked me up and drove me.  On Thursday afternoon there was video testimony that was prerecorded --- I spent the afternoon in the bathroom throwing up.  The deputy clerk put me in the witness room (because the witnesses were sequestered) and was such a kind man --- every 20-30 minutes he would come in and bring a new garbage bag.  Thursday night I went to the hospital and got an IV.  I knew I was dehydrated.  I felt better on Friday, but Friday night it hit me again.  The judge made us go back on Saturday to finish with one more witness and then give closing arguments.  I was exhausted by the time that Saturday was done.

My plan was to come home, take an Ambien, and sleep it off.  The thing was, I slept 13 hours even without Ambien.  I woke up today (Sunday) and drank half a gallon of water.  Within 90 minutes I still wasn't having to use the bathroom --- which worried me.  After all, I have a half marathon in a week.  I still felt dizzy and I was still coughing.  I called the doctor who sent me to the hospital.  Turns out, I have pneumonia.  I got antibiotics, another inhaler, and was told to rest up and drink a ton of liquid.  If I did that, I might be able to run next Sunday.

I called Elyse as I was filling the prescription.  Elyse is an OBGYN.  She told me to come to Toronto and watch she and Sara run the half, but that I was crazy to think about running.  I told her that while I respected her opinion as a friend and a doctor, that I was more inclined to listen to her on this issue if the pneumonia was affecting my lady parts.  Bottom line, I told her that I was going to run --- somehow.

Here is the bad part of all of this ---- because I have an infection and I am on antibiotics, I can't take Prednisone because it will weaken my immune system.  So, I will be able to breathe but my achilles may be in major pain.  It's a chance that I am willing to take because I can't stand another period of time where I have to wear this Michigan clothing.  I kind of blame the Michigan clothing for the pneumonia.  I know that it is in no way logical, but it's just a feeling that I have.

I have planned for this race for months.  I have trained for this race for months.  I certainly didn't plan for the fact that my achilles would have a minor tear or that I would have pneumonia.  But, it is what it is.  I will deal with it.  It's not about the specific race but about the journey in getting there.  And what a journey it has been.  So, maybe it won't be the race that I have imagined, but I will finish it --- and then burn those Michigan t-shirts.  Next week at this time I will be done ..... one way or another.

1 comment:

  1. Pneumonia totally blows. I mean, really? Not OK. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

    I know you're determined to get'r done (or however it's spelled), so I won't try to dissuade you...I'm just worried about you. I hope that's OK to say.

    ReplyDelete