Monday, May 9, 2011

Milwaukee, (Oriental) Medicine, and Mileage

I'm back from the bat-mitzvah.  It was lovely and Ali did an amazing job.  There were many times over the course of the weekend that I asked myself how could she possibly be old enough to be having her bat-mitzvah, but I was likely just trying to make myself feel a little younger......

I was very nervous about getting my mileage in while I was there.  My time wasn't my own and I had a feeling that sleep and hydration were going to be issues.  Thursday wasn't so bad in the sense that I had a little bit more time to get a workout in.  I got 5 miles in and was able to stretch sufficiently.  I let the icing go by the wayside, but when I woke up on Friday it didn't seem to be an issue.  The plan was to rest on Friday and Saturday and get 11 miles in on Sunday morning.

On Friday afternoon my brother and I got a treat --- my sister gifted us some acupuncture treatments.  Acupuncture has always been amazing (my sister got me into it years ago) and in light of the foot/achilles issues that I have been having, I was really looking forward to it.  I also thought it would be great in light of the 11 miles that I had coming up.  Boy, was the treatment amazing.  So incredibly relaxing. It was even better in the sense that we got the treatment right at the hotel suite we shared.  David and I were out cold because it was so relaxing.


David and myself out cold.


Notice the accupuncture needles?

In relation to the 11 miles on Sunday morning, lets just say it didn't happen.  We didn't get home from the party on Saturday night until almost midnight --- at which time my niece (who is 2) decided it was party time.  Saturday was absolutely exhausting in every sense of the word.  I didn't get to sleep until close to 1 a.m. on Sunday.  I tried my best to hydrate on Friday and Saturday, but I it wasn't enough.  I woke up on Sunday morning and kept pressing the snooze button.  I was exhausted and each time the alarm went off I tried to calculate how much time the run would take me in light of 11 a.m. brunch reservations....

I got up and figured out, based on calculating mileage, that I would run to my parents' house (5 miles from the hotel) and get water there, and then run back.  I got up late and my stretching wasn't as in depth as it should have been.  It was on pavement.  It was cold out.  But, I started my run.  The route was surprisingly hilly, but I got in a groove.  Right as I was about to turn into my parents' sub division --- knowing the first 5 miles was almost done --- my step mother nearly ran me over as she was pulling out.  It was in no way intentional and was truly mildly amusing.  At that point, I had half a mile to go until I could get some water. 

I saw the house, and was maybe 200 meters (an eight of a mile) from the house when I felt something pop in my right achilles.  OH SHIT!!!  I made it to the front door on the house and stretched as best I could.  I was not feeling good and knew there was no way in hell that I was going to run back.  My father drove me back to the hotel.  I showered, packed, and spent much of the afternoon "on ice" before flying home last night.  Walking felt uncomfortable, but the ibuprofen was helping a bit. 

I put on compression sleeves before the flights and the flight attendants were nice enough to keep me supplied with ice for the flights home.  The flight into Houston was late and I had to sprint through the airport to get the flight to New Orleans.  That was, by far, the most painful part of the day --- and it was the last flight into New Orleans so I had to make it.  I hobbled onto the plane and was pleased to find I was one of the few people in first class.  I, therefore, had a plush seat for myself and a leg rest for prop my leg up and put ice on it.  I got home and actually fell asleep on my couch with ice on my achilles.

This morning, unfortunately, my right achilles is quite swollen.  I'm being optimistic and hoping that with a few days rest all will be good.  The timing of this is crappy, but when is timing ever perfect?  This too will pass, that is what I keep telling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment