Monday, May 9, 2011

No Turning Back Now --- I'm Running The Chicago Marathon to Raise Money for Atticus Circle

It is official.  It isn't just posted on the blog --- it is posted on the organization's web page (www.atticuscircle.org).  Atticus Circle put a link on its Facebook page ("run with us") http://www.facebook.com/StandUpWithAtticusCircle.  There is no backing out of this marathon now.  Throughout the pain and days when I don't have the energy to run --- I have to remind myself that I am doing this to raise money for an organization that I believe in.  Why this organization?  It is pretty simple.

There are a lot of amazing causes out there.  Unfortunately, though, not all of those amazing causes get a lot of attention.  The "medical issues," at least as I see it, are always going to get attention and have people raising money for them because the medical issues affect a lot of different people personally.  Either they have underwent various treatment or some of their friends and/or family have.  These issues, though, not so much --- not everyone has seen how these issues can affect people or what people are forced to endure simply based on how they were born.  That is why I specifically chose this organization.  I chose it after listening to people talk about a topic they had no knowledge about, when they didn't know anyone who has had to endure these struggles.

I have friends who are gay and friends who are straight.  I have friends who are married and friends who are single.  I have friends who have children and friends who do not.  My friends should not be treated differently based on these differences.  They should not be treated differently, their marriages should not be treated differently, and their children should not be treated differently.  Until we can educate the greater population about these issues, though, I fear that disparate treatment will continue.  That is why I am doing what I am doing.  I can't change the law (at least by myself), but I can help to educate people who can, in turn, collectively try to change the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment