Monday, May 16, 2011

Did this sense of "zen" come from running?

I have to have a very important conversation with a jury tomorrow ... and I have no voice.  What started as a little bug last week has turned into a full blown virus.  103 fever.  No voice.  Coughing up crap I care not to describe.  The only positive thing is that the stomach aspect has subsided.  I have a trial to get through and a half marathon to run in less than 2 weeks. 

I've been very "zen" the last two weeks related to trial prep --- even when things got crazy I never got stressed.  My secretary and paralegal, even those attorneys working on the case with me, have been waiting for me to "blow" in terms of stress level, etc.  It hasn't happened and its not going to.  I totally believe that it is because of running.  When things get stressful, I take out the stress on the treadmill, elliptical, the bosu ball, etc. instead of blowing off steam through yelling and screaming.  My "zen" attitude is proof that running has had a positive effect on several different aspects of my life.  For this, I will always be grateful.

Today (or yesterday, rather, based on the time of this post) was one of those amazing Louisiana spring days that rarely comes along.  Not a cloud in the sky.  No humidity.  Relatively cool (about 75 degrees).  I was cooped in my office all day, trying not to infect my amazing secretary and paralegal who sacrificed personal and family time for the sake of this trial.  I got home and felt like crap, but knew I had to try to take advantage of the weather somehow.

If you recall, if my achilles was feeling better, I was going to try to get in 11-12 miles today.  Lets say that didn't happen --- wasn't even going to try it.  But, I thought that even though I felt like crap, a short run may help me sweat out some of this virus in addition to improving my mood, etc.  I downed some Propel, stretched thoroughly, put on my Garmin, took a puff of the inhaler (due to the chest issues), and set off on the streetcar path.  I was sluggish, but at the same time it felt so nice to be outside in the incredible weather.  I was a mile in before I looked at my watch --- not a bad pace considering I hadn't run since Tuesday (10:53).  Then, it started --- that pain from the other night.  I wasn't stupid, I stopped running and started walking. 

I stopped by the gym on my way home.  I did some core work and worked on my arms, chest, and back.  I stretched (both at the gym and when I got home) and spent the evening "on ice".  I do feel better, but still feel like crap.  I'm now not only worried about this half marathon in less than two weeks, but also about regaining my voice by tomorrow.

I've planned for May 29 for months and will finish this race whether it is through walking or running (although I hope it is the later).  I will follow the doctor's advice and not run until the day of the race.  Hopefully, I will be OK.  If nothing else, I am going to finish this race on May 29 so I don't have to wear this Michigan clothing anymore.  You can plan and plan, but rarely do things ever turn out as we plan.  So, maybe I won't be in top physical shape --- but I can say that even if I'm injured, I'm still in much better shape than I was a year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment