Friday, May 13, 2011

It's All Starting to Hit Me.

What should I do?  Wedding reception in Chicago on August 13 for a good friend.  Coincidentally the Chicago Rock N’Roll Half Marathon is on August 14.  A few weeks ago I signed up for the Minneapolis Half Marathon on August 6 --- coordinating training for the Chicago Marathon with being able to see some friends from college who I haven’t seen in way too long.  The mileage is there in terms of training.  Advice from any of y’all out there in blog land?

It turns out that Dr. Darcy correctly diagnosed me from afar the other night.  Slight tear which will heal. I’m spending a lot of quality time with my feet and lower legs in ice baths.   I haven’t done anything since this happened --- other than stretching.  It is driving me crazy.  But I am listening to the advice that I am given.  I’m taking in easy until Sunday, when I am going to try to get the 11-12 miles in and then no running until the half marathon on May 29.  A few times on the elliptical in between, but that’s it.  I’m nervous, but the good people at Varsity Sports assured me that I will be fine.  I did 10 miles, which they assured me was the biggest test of all.  Plus, I am doing this to finish it and not for time.

After the half I will take a little time off and then start training for the Chicago Marathon.

I spoke to Liberdy yesterday, which really put me in a much better mood.  I couldn’t believe that she gave birth two weeks ago and was able to go out for a run yesterday.  I so wish that I was at that level already.  (If you recall, she ran 5 miles faster than I did when she was 8 months pregnant.)  She convinced me that I was ready for this and also assured me that I was going into this with the right attitude.  I was beginning to wonder, but Liberdy simply doesn’t blow smoke up my ass --- so if she says it then it is gospel as far as I am concerned.  I’m really touched at how much she has had going on, with the birth of her first child and all, and she has been checking in with me to make sure that my training is going OK.  Pretty amazing!

I haven’t been paying as much attention as I should to current events because of trial prep, etc.  When I spoke to my sister today she asked me about evacuation in light of the level of the Mississippi.  I told her that I didn’t think it was anything as I hadn’t heard people discussing it non-stop in New Orleans.  But, her question prompted me to look into it.  I’m optimistic that we will not have to evacuate in New Orleans.  That being said, the river is higher than I have ever seen it.  I’m hopeful that the interventions will work because I don’t want anything to happen to this amazing place that I am so proud to call my home.  Please keep New Orleans (and the entire state of Louisiana) in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment