Thursday, April 21, 2011

Race Expos, Recovery Socks, and Rest.

I was warned about race expos a few weeks ago.  I had been before, but never as someone who was serious about running.  I went to go and pick up our race numbers for the Crescent City Classic this morning.  The goal was to go when it first opened, on the first day, so we didn't have to wait in line, etc.  I went armed with my registration information as well as Max's.  Not only were they very late in opening the lines, the set up was such that you had to get your race number in one location and then walk through the entire expo to get your t-shirt and chip.  Well, let's say I am the proud new owner of several different styles of compression sleeves as well as hydration supplements.  Admittedly, I felt a little bit like I was cheating on Varsity Sports --- but the prices were amazing and a deal is a deal.

I had read about the Recovery Sock (www.recoverysock.com) but had never actually seen them ---- they almost seemed like a mythical creature.  Well, they were right there at the expo with the K-Swiss booth.  I was in heaven.  The gentleman working that booth was lovely, and I bought two new pairs.  (Plus, they are quite a deal compared to the other brands out there).  Based on the run tonight, I like them.  I'm not ready to become "exclusive" with the Recovery Sock yet, but there is definitely the possibility.  Another booth (whether I got the hydration supplements) tried to push the Zensah compression sleeves (www.zensah.com) on me.  I explained that I had a pair, but I didn't love them because they just didn't feel very tight (i.e. not very supportive).  The gentleman explained that I should try a smaller size and they might feel more supportive.  It made sense.  They were pretty inexpensive there.  He was a good salesman.  So, I own another pair of Zensah compression sleeves, albeit 2 sizes smaller.  I'll let you know how they feel.

This morning at 5:30 a.m. I had a training session.  Liberdy is 9 months pregnant and about to "drop child" any day.  I was taking any appointment that I could get.  She has done everything that I am trying to do.  Her advice and counsel is invaluable and calms me down.  She sensed exactly what I felt --- pure exhaustion.  I am running on fumes and I need a lot more sleep.  Tomorrow is Good Friday and the office (and most of New Orleans) is closed.  I have a trial deposition in the morning (and have to prep before the deposition) and run a few errands in the afternoon.  All of that said, I am not running or working out tomorrow and I am going to relax.  I'm hoping to take an Ambien at 4 p.m. or so; I'll have no choice but to sleep.  If I can get 10-12 hours of sleep before the race on Saturday morning, I think it will do me (and my muscles) a world of good.

I got in 5 miles tonight.  It was after a crazy day with yet another trial deposition in Baton Rouge.  I felt like I was better hydrated, but was still sluggish.  I got it in though.  I'm proud of myself for getting it in.  Sunday through Thursday this week and I have 20 miles in.  Pretty crazy!  I felt dead like after 8 miles on Tuesday night.  I iced and then I put on the compression socks --- and kept them on for almost 24 hours.  Advil, stretching, more ice and I actually felt pretty good today. 

Saturday is 10k on the pavement.  It is supposed to be 85 degrees and very humid (it is New Orleans).  It is going to be a real test.  I'm nervous about it, not even going to try to pretend otherwise.  part of my uneasiness is the fact that I am running with my friend and colleague Max.  He is doing it as a favor to me, which is so incredibly kind of him.  You see, he is a much better runner than I am.  He was teasing me a bit today at the office because my goal is to try to maintain as close to a 10 minute mile pace as possible (although not counting on it); he said we would have a nice jog and may even break a sweat.  He did feel bad once I called him an ass hole and back peddled some, but it is still daunting to be running with him knowing that it isn't going to be all that exciting for him.

Until Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. I will bow down to you if you keep a 10:00 minute/mile pace!!! Then I will harass you for tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not going to happen (i.e. 10 minute miles for 6.4 miles), but if I can be as close as possible that would be great. Seeing as how it is going to be 85 degrees with about 95% humidity at 8:30 a.m. when it starts I don't think that is going ot be possible.

    ReplyDelete