Saturday, April 23, 2011

There are Two Ways of Looking at Today.

Unfortunately, I kind of feel like a jogger instead of a runner.

The race is done.  10k on the pavement complete.  I'm not particularly happy with either my time or my achilles tendons.  But I finished.  I didn't give up, and I got cardio in (for the most part).  I'm obviously somewhat concerned about the half marathon that is 5 weeks away, but it will be what it will be.  I'll finish that as well, just maybe not in the time that I would like.  My watch is way off as it only said 5.3 miles, and it was clearly 6.2. I'll wait for the official time to be posted. 

The pain got so bad that I had to do 10 minutes running and 2 minutes walking.  Oh well, it was what it was.

Max was AMAZING and I can't thank him enough for running with me.  It was painful for him in the sense that he is a much better runner than I am.  I told him to go ahead of me a few times and that I would meet him at the finish line, but he wouldn't.  He stayed by my side the entire time which says so much about him as a person.  When we were walking to meet his wife, who drove us back to the office where our cars were parked after the race, he asked me if I would have quit if he hadn't been running with me.  I told him that 6 months ago I would have, but I could say with 100% certainty that I could not have quite today.  I may have walked more than I did, but I would have finished.  I guess I have to love little accomplishments like that and see it in the full context of what it is.

I did learn some valuable lessons today. 
  1. First, I seem to have this hydration thing more in order.  With the heat I was concerned, but so far so good. 
  2. Second, I need to make sure that I am on prednisone for the longer races on pavement.  I was on it for the Shamrock Shuffle and for last week's 5K it was still in my system for the taper.  Today, I only took 600mg of Advil before the run.  HUGE DIFFERENCE.  Pain in the achilles started much earlier than the 5k point as a result.  I am going to have to meet with my doctor and figure all of this out as I start to increase my weekly mileage even more.
  3. Getting a full night's sleep before a race is an enormous benefit.  Even it it takes ambien, that is OK.  It forced me to sleep last night and it made me fall asleep.
  4. Keep everyone around you out of your mind.  There are going to be people that finish before you do and some that finish after.  It is about you and no one else. 
So, all in all, not the worst day in the world.  10k on the pavement --- check.  Not my best performance, but lessons were learned.  Now, sitting with ice on my achilles and calves.  Going to try to rest as much as possible today.  Planned with Liberdy that tomorrow I am going to do the elliptical for a bit, take Monday off completely, and get in my 9 miles on Tuesday night.  Making my mileage fit my orthopedic needs.  Again, it is what it is.

Some photos from today are below.

Pre-race in the Quarter.

Post-race.


No comments:

Post a Comment