Tuesday, April 5, 2011

How do you properly train when you are swamped at work?

Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it, right?  I'm absolutely swamped at work.  I start trial in a few weeks.  I have several oral arguments next week in different courts.  Tonight will be my second consecutive "all nighter" in a row --- which at 36 I simply am too old for.  It is exciting work, which is cool, but I'm exhausted.  Truthfully, I should be working right now but am writing this instead because my mind needs to rest for a few minutes. 

At 6:30 p.m. I made the decision that I had to get in a training run tonight.  The half marathon is quickly approaching and I am already at a disadvantage because I'm limited in the number of days per week that I can run.  I figured that I would go to the gym and then come back to the office.  No time for strength training tonight and no time for Liberdy tomorrow morning.  I got in 7 miles and am, again, professing my deep love and admiration for Adidas.  My feet feel fine (knock on wood).  I have ice on my achilles and calves.  I'm tired, but it feels good.  In a strange way it woke me up and got me excited to write all of these reply briefs.

It would have been so easy to make an excuse tonight and not get a run in.  If I had, though, it just would have made crossing that finish line even harder than it is already going to be.  Forcing myself to leave the office and get in a run was the best thing I could have done tonight. 

On Sunday afternoon I got a tattoo that I had been contemplating for some time.  I got the words "memento vivere" put on my wrist.  From Latin, the translation is "remember to live".


Every time I glance at my wrist, I am giving myself a reminder to remember to live.  It was that reminder tonight that made me chose to leave the office, get in a run, and now come back.  To me, remembering to live means remembering to run.

Good night y'all.  Sweet dreams to those of y'all lucky enough to sleep tonight.  For those of y'all who are going to have to work tonight --- may your thoughts be clear and your arguments precise.  And for any of y'all out there in blog land who have advice about training runs when you are swamped at work, I welcome it.

No comments:

Post a Comment