Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Girl and The Goat, Running, and Concessions

I had a great dinner in Chicago tonight at The Girl and The Goat.  I've blogged about it before, but it is more than worthy of another mention.  Two people who ate with us tonight had never eaten there before.  I think it is very fair to say they were BLOWN AWAY by every aspect of the dinner, from the food to the decor to the service.  There is a wait list of several months for a reason.  That reason is, simply, that it is the best new restaurant in the U.S.  I have the good fortune of eating at some absolutely spectacular restaurants and experiencing the culinary skills of some of the best chefs in the country.  Chef Stephanie Izard is up there with the best of them.  She may be young, there may not be white linen tablecloths, the waitstaff may wear t-shirts instead of shirts and ties --- but it is some of the most spectacular food that I have ever had in my entire life.  I'm not the only one saying it.  Every single person who has gone there (that I know or am aware of) says the same thing.  Stephanie Izard will win a Beard sooner rather than later.  She is such an amazing chef that I don't even care that she went to Michigan.  For me, that is saying a lot!!!!

All of this being the case, running was involved in dinner as well.  You see, I had dinner with friends and colleagues, including Gen (who I have run with and who I was to run the Chicago Marathon with).  I knew that I was going to be scolded tonight for my stupidity (yes, I said it myself, MY STUPIDITY).  I took it like an adult.  I listened.  I conceded my errors.  I promised that I was (finally) listening to my doctors, doing what I am supposed to do in terms of PT, and not rushing into anything.  They saw the boot/cast and shook their heads.  (I shake my head too when I see it; it is neither pretty nor comfortable.)  I think my friends and colleagues will say that I am not taking this lightly and that I am doing what I have to in order to get healthy, so that I can run comfortably and without injury.

The next time that I am in Chicago I will, God willing, be running again.  I'll go back to The Girl and The Goat --- hopefully with the same friends and colleagues --- and be able to discuss our runs from that day, over an amazing meal prepared by Chef Stephanie Izard, and I will be able to smile and say that I'm running because I finally listened to those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment