Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Challenge in More Ways Than One

Today was tough for several reasons.  First, I am exhausted.  Even though I got 8 hours of sleep last night, that was the most I have gotten in several weeks.  One good night of sleep didn't make up for weeks of sleep deficiency.  Second, I couldn't get motivated today and kept making excuses.  I woke up early with the goal of getting the run in first thing this morning. Let's just say that didn't happen.  Instead, I went to Target, I worked in the garden, I went to the office, and even took a little cat nap this afternoon.  Third, I was nervous because today was a real test in the sense that I would be running two days in a  row --- something that I haven't done since hurting my achilles.  Mentally, I was worried that if I got sore, if my achilles started to ache, etc. would that mean that I wouldn't be able to do the half or the full?

Late this afternoon I said no more excuses and went to the gym.  As a way to try to motivate myself, I said the hell with the bet and put on a Wisconsin t-shirt instead of a Michigan one.  I love Wisconsin; hopefully that has been established.  Every time I put on a Michigan t-shirt my heart aches a little bit.  So, I did what I had to do to get through the run today.  Come on, its not as if I haven't been an amazing sport the last few months.  Since January I have worn Michigan clothing, Michigan hats, etc. and I have documented it all.  I deserve one day off.

For my long runs I have been renting movies from iTunes and playing them on the TV connected to the treadmill through my iPod.  Today was "Rabbit Hole," which was amazing but depressing.  It kept my attention, though --- which is more than the last few movies have done.  (Note to all of y'all out there who haven't yet seen either "Country Strong" or "How Do You Know" --- there is a reason very few people saw either in the theater.  They sucked.)  At 6.5 miles the sharp pains started in my right achilles.  I tried to put up with it for a bit, but then stopped.  I didn't want to risk hurting myself.  It just isn't worth it.  So, I made a deal with myself.  7 miles tonight but on Tuesday (likely morning as there is another Seder on Tuesday night) I am going to get in the full 8 miles. 

So I stopped.  I stretched for a long time.  I'm icing now.  I will stretch again later.  Tomorrow will be a day off.  I need it and it is also the first Seder tomorrow night.  I've taken ibuprofen.  I'll even take an ice bath later.  I'm kicking myself and starting to wonder if I had gone in with a more positive attitude today if I would have been able to get it all in?  I guess that I will never know.

This is what 7 miles looked like today.


Huge week this week mileage wise, work wise (1st anniversary of BP oil spill), and religion wise (Passover).  Happy holidays to all of y'all who are celebrating.  Please think of all of the people on the Gulf on Wednesday (1st anniversary of the spill) who are still trying to rebuild their lives since the oil spill.

No comments:

Post a Comment