Thursday, December 1, 2011

Who Would Have Thought

I remember it all too clearly.  It was a Saturday in early April.  I had just flown into Chicago early that morning.  The week had been a long one and I was working on little to no sleep.  The next day was my first "test"; I would be running the 8K Shamrock Shuffle with my friend Gen.  I had been getting over initial issues with my achilles and thought I was on the mend.  The Toronto Half Marathon was 2 months away.  The Chicago Marathon was 6 months away --- literally.  I was excited to be in Chicago with my friends and at the prospect of running.

I met Gen and Brooke for lunch.  Gen mentioned this half marathon in Las Vegas that she wanted to do.  After all, they would shut down the Strip for the race.  Why not?  I told her that I was in.  After all, it wasn't until December 4 and it was only early April.  In the coming weeks I continued to have issues with my achilles.  I finished my first half marathon over Memorial Day in Toronto but tore my achilles in the process.  Surgery followed.  The Chicago Marathon was not longer an option as a result, but Vegas was still in the picture.  In fact, I signed up for Vegas while I was on crutches after the half marathon in Toronto --- I was just back home but hadn't had surgery yet.  It was something that was going to help push me.

There was surgery, there were casts, there was PT.  My achilles improved and my confident waxed and wained.  I moved from New Orleans back to Wisconsin and encountered new challenges in terms of life (as well as amazing new things).  Training was up and down with both good and bad days.  But, here I am.  Tomorrow morning I get on a plane to go to Vegas.  On Sunday I will compete in my second half marathon during this calendar year.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would do this.  I almost have to pinch myself.

As I left the office tonight my colleagues were wishing me luck.  The last few weeks they have been amazing and incredibly supportive --- especially this week as I have battled the stomach flu and have worried about hydration levels.  I'm nervous about the race.  I know that I will finish it but I worry about my time and getting it done in the way that I would like to.  I suppose there will always be another opportunity if I don't do what I set out to do with this race.

In the process I've come across some amazing people.  In fact, just today I was incredibly surprised by a woman named Mandy who works with the Yurbuds company.  (As an aside, this company is amazing and really cares about its customers.  If you do not already use its products I encourage you to as they are the most amazing earphones for runners ever invented and that is not something that I say lightly).  Mandy went out of her way, when she didn't have to, to make sure this company stood my its product and get me new earphones so that I wasn't without on Sunday.  My earphones had broke last week and this is a company that is standing by its product and replacing it even though I couldn't find the receipt.  People usually don't do that anymore.  Many and Yurbuds, though, went out of their way because they wanted to help me make sure that I have a great race on Sunday.  That meant so much to me.  My trainer current trainer in Milwaukee (Matt Bartz) and my former trainer in New Orleans (Liberdy Welsh) are two more incredible people who have been a part of this journey.  Without them I don't know that I would have "gotten up" after some of the bad runs and they encouraged me to stick with it.

There are the incredible people who have donated money to Atticus Circle in support of my run.  These people have believed in me enough to donate money to this incredible organization.  They have done so without question because they know that it is important to me.  I am very thankful and appreciative and am sincere when I say how lucky I am to have them in my life.

Then there are the 4 amazing women who are crazy enough to come to Vegas and run on Sunday.  I am so excited to spend time with them this weekend and relax.  I am thanking them in advance for being brave enough to watch the Big Ten Championship Game with me on Saturday night and being willing to don Badger clothes in the process.  I am thankful that they have followed through and are going to Vegas with me to run.  I love that these are some of the only people who will be able to get me to stay awake past 10 p.m.

December 1 of last year I never would have imagined that a year later I would be able to say that I finished to half marathons in 2011.  Anything is possible and I'll see you at the finish line on Sunday night. 

2 comments:

  1. We at Atticus Circle know how lucky we are to have a person like Serena as a supporter. She has gone WAY beyond doing it the easy way, and her efforts to raise awareness about the need for LGBT equality are as big as her heart, her integrity and her courage. Thank you, Serena, for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serena's efforts have also brought her friends to Atticus Circle, and we thank all of you for believing in Serena enough to donate funds that help us carry out our mission to attain LGBT equality.

    ReplyDelete