Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Day Off.

Much needed "day off" today --- day off from the gym, that is.  Work is still absolutely insane.  I was in Court for several hours this morning and when I walked out my colleague and I looked at one another and both of us, respectively, admitted that we were exhausted.  I also felt dehydrated and had no reason why.

Monday I was still on a high.  I got in 45 minutes on the Cybex before Liberdy kicked my ass.  Boxing on Monday night, which means we are outside.  I know that it is only April, but I do live on the bayou.  I love this weather, don't get me wrong, but it was humid.  I was drenched after 45 minutes and then we moved on to core work.  I was exhausted when we were done, but I felt great.  Last night, I had to run.  I did 90 minutes on the treadmill.  I alternated every ten minutes between walking at 3.5 mph at a 5 incline and running at 6 mph at a 1 incline.  A different kind of interval because as I got on the treadmill I was exhausted, a little dehydrated, and hadn't eaten enough during the day.  I knew that intervals was the only way that I was going to get by.  In was a great work out though.  I stretched, iced, and went to sleep.


Today we got the official photos from the Shamrock Shuffle.  It being the first race that I have ever done where I could get official photos, I ordered them digitally.  It was a waste of money, but live and learn.  I looked horrible in the photos and suddenly my "high" was gone. 

I'm going to spare y'all posting the photo where you can almost certainly tell what I suspected --- that I peed my pants during the race.

I'm one of those people who, once I find something that works, tends to "go big".  On the way to Chicago last weekend I was reading Runner's World Magazine and there was an article about socks and avoiding blisters.  One "tool" that was recommended was spraying your feet with antipersperant because, after all, the way to avoid blisters is to avoid moisture.  I tried it last Sunday, and it worked.  So, on Monday I went all out and bought just about every type of spray antipersperant they had at Walgreens so that I could experiment.  I most certainly look like a fool spraying my feet with antipersperant before putting my running shoes and socks on, but if it works then it works.

Finally, last Saturday (mind you, before I had even completed the 5 mile run, etc.) Gen asked what I was doing on December 4.  I said that I was doing nothing, and then asks why.  It seems that is the day of the Rock N'Roll Las Vegas Marathon; it is run at night and on the Strip --- which they close for the race.  I haven't even finished a half marathon yet and I am in.  My friends Elyse and Sara were in as soon as I asked them, so that will be fun.  Plus, Liberdy may do it as well.  If anyone can push me --- that "gang" can.

Lots of work to finish, and I have to meet Liberdy at 5:30 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment