Monday, April 25, 2011

Additional Post Mortem and Another Trip to the Orthopod

I'm going back to the orthopod.  There has to be something other than prednisone that controls the pain while I am running.  On a suggestion, I am now alternating between naproxen sodium and ibuprofen.  Apparently, you build up a tolerance so if you alternate a few weeks at a time, it is better in terms of pain management.  All seems logical.  I am not trying to imply that I am in constant and unbearable pain, because that is not the case.  It is always just kind of nagging, especially while running.  It just made me worry on Saturday because usually it starts around the 5K mark --- and this Saturday it was at 2 miles.

I also realized that I likely walked closer to a third of the race rather than a quarter.  Makes my time even more palatable.

I slept 38 hours this weekend.  I was obviously exhausted.  Truth be told, I am still exhausted today.  I have to figure out some way to balance the piles of work on my desk with training and sleep.  It all needs to fit in.  I see it as three legs to a stool --- with only two of the legs there, the stool won't stand.  I guess that is my project for the week.

9 mile training run tomorrow night.  I am already dreading it.  Any good move suggestions for the run?

Spoke to my friend Elyse yesterday about the half marathon that is 5 weeks away.  She asked if it was worth it.  I said, without hesitation, that it was.  It is something that I have to see through.  It might not be the time that I want but I need to finish it for my sanity and for my own knowledge that I finished something that I started.  Obviously, if a doctor tells me that I am going to injure myself permanently, etc. I won't run.  But if I am just going to be in pain, that is fine.  Pain will go away eventually.  Part of it is that I need to prove to myself that I can do this, and that quitting isn't a way to go through life.  Does that make sense to anyone other than me?

No comments:

Post a Comment