Sunday, April 3, 2011

5K on the Pavement --- Check!

I was really nervous this morning.  I wasn't nervous about the distance.  I didn't care about the pace --- I didn't even wear my watch.  I was worried that running on the pavement would be too much for my achilles.  I was even more worried that, as a result, the upcoming races wouldn't be so possible.  Now, a few hours after the race with ice on my achilles and calves, I am ecstatic.

My friend Mary was generous enough to run with me this morning.  Mary kept me from going out too quickly --- which has been my problem when I have run outside.  I ran with Mary for the first half of the race at a very comfortable pace.  She kept me in line and it helped because I felt good, I had energy, and my achilles didn't hurt.  We hit the half way point and she gave me permission to start going faster, and I did.  It was fun.  I had my iPod on with the music I loved.  I was giving myself goals to overcome certain people as I approached them.  One woman in particular must have had the same "game plan" in mind.  I would get in front of her and then she would get in front of me.  The last quarter mile I saw the finish line, and I said to myself, "time to overtake her for good."  This is where the interval training came into play.  I kicked it into high gear and wound up finishing a full minute before she did.  ( I did the right thing, though, and cheered for her at the finish line even though I didn't know her.)

My time wasn't great but wasn't terrible.  36:22.  Really not bad considering I was at the half way point with Mary at 20 minutes.  I stretched well.  I drank a ton of water.  I'm icing now. I took ibuprofen before the race and I will take some more shortly.  All in all, not so bad.  I'm actually excited for the Shamrock Shuffle next weekend.

I didn't know the proper race etiquette.  There was this tab thing on my number that I tore off and put in my care before the race started.  That is what I was supposed to hand to them as I crossed the finish line so that my time could be officially recorded.  So, my time for this one won't be officially recorded --- but I am fine with that.  My time was 36:22.  I'll know better for next weekend.

This is starting to actually feel real, and it is starting to feel like an amazing thing.  I didn't run with my camera, so there is no shot of me as I crossed the finish line.  Mary took this shot of me after the race --- when we went out for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment